Coates Hire now offering GPS machine control
24 June 2011
As part of Coates Hire’s on-going commitment to offer the latest technology to its customers, a selection of motor graders, excavators and compaction rollers are now available with optional Accugrade GPS machine control. This technology is gaining rapid traction in the Australian market and has been proven to increase machine productivity.
Recently Roadworx P/L, a Unanderra based civil contracting company, hired a new CAT 140M motor grader from Coates Hire fitted with Accugrade GPS machine control for a road upgrade project it was doing in Moss Vale NSW. Roadworx was keen to try the technology on this project; primarily to reduce survey costs and also to ensure the various layers of material were accurately placed. The operator soon mastered the GPS system and also the joystick controls of the new CAT M Series grader. He particularly was impressed by the fact that he had the job design displayed in front of him and the blade automatically moved to the desired elevation and cross slope.
The M Series grader’s new joystick controls were also considerably more responsive and a lot less tiring to operate than the traditional lever controls.
Coates Hire’s technology offering is flexible. For example an excavator can be hired with a GPS system for detailed excavation, and if the excavator is then is used to load trucks, the GPS components can be easily removed. Motor grader systems can be configured to use simple cross slope control or can be upgraded to either laser, GPS or UTS (using a Total Station to calculate the blade position) for sub 10mm final trimming.
GPS machine control has been proven to increase the productivity of the host machine by:
* Increasing grading accuracy
* Reducing the need for rework
* Reducing fuel burn
* Reducing survey costs
Key Features & Functions
* Automatic or manual blade control
* Scalable systems. Can be used as 2D, laser or 3D GPS and 3D UTS.
* GPS pass mapping on compaction rollers, ensuring uniform compaction and providing documentation for QA.
* Motor Graders: to enable the operator to get to grade faster, even with complex designs.
* Excavators: for bulk earthmoving such as land reclamation, dam and reservoir construction, cutting batters and V-drains on new infrastructure projects.
* Single and tamden drum rollers: for mapping and counting compaction passes, and also measuring and recording “as built” elevations.
For further information please contact your nearest Coates Hire branch on 13 15 52 or visit the Branch Locator