This course covers the skills required to work for a Class B licence holder in the removal of friable asbestos and to remove up to 10m2
of non-friable asbestos without an asbestos removal licence.
This comprises face-to-face classroom learning, with practical training and assessment undertaken in a simulated work environment. Holders of State Regulator issued licences may apply for recognition of prior learning in order to obtain nationally accredited units of competency.
- Asbestos removal control plans
- Friable v non-friable
- Asbestos diseases
- Legislative and regulatory requirements
- Risk assessment and hazard control strategies
- PPE, RPE, tools and equipment
- Incidents and emergencies
- Control plans
- Decontamination of site, tools, equipment and personnel
- Waste management and disposal
- Clearance inspections
A Statement of Attainment for the following unit:
CPCCDE3014A Remove non-friable asbestos
CPCCWHS1001 Prepare to work safely in the construction industry - by recognition
Candidates must provide a copy of evidence of completion of unit of competency listed above. This evidence must be in the form of a certificate issued by a Registered Training Organisation or an authenticated transcript issued by the USI Registrar.
- Hold CPCCWHS1001 Prepare to work safely in the construction industry, or equivalent
- Have physical capacity to participate in group lifting and deconstruction activities in heat-affecting protective equipment
The following Personal Protective Equipment is required:
- Safety boots
- Yellow high visibility clothing consisting of long sleeves and long trousers
- Further specialist PPE is provided for the duration of the course, including respiratory protection. Candidates must be clean shaven when wearing tight fitting respirators in order to effect a seal.
This course is conducted in English requiring oral and written responses to assessment tasks. Candidates, where English is a second language, or demonstrate any other barrier to completing this course in English, may apply for professional interpreter services.
Language, literacy and numeracy skills to enable clear and direct communication, interpretation of plans and instructions, and complex calculations are required to successfully complete this course.
- Candidates undertake ongoing assessment of practical skills during the conduct of a friable asbestos removal project.
- Written assessment consists of multiple choice questions.